View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 PM   #55
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I used "adb logcat" to see what was happening during the backup attempt and it produced the message "bu : Can't obtain Backup Manager binder". Looking at the source code for Android it seems this happens if the backup service is not active. As far as I can tell it is just is not present in WSA and so allowing popups is not going to help with this problem.
I have a question that is semantics: when you are saying "backup", do you mean a 'copy' that is also encrypted? or would a copy as an apk be the same as a 'backup'?

I just installed the 4.16 version & used total commander to make a copy the the the wsa android download directory; NO problem, very easy.

Total Commander is available on the wsa Amazon appstore; retrieved by entering total commander in the search (think this also applies to any other app not displayed).

I just right-click on the installed apps of TC & select Amazon Kindle & a context dialoge shows up with the selections that include 'copy/move/send'. selected the copy/move/send & directory for placement.

So what is reason for the insistence in using of adb to do a "backup"?
I mean I had used TC to make copy of Calibre Companion version prior to the mess made by the new owners. I have also used the apk copy to re-install CC when Google "updated" my CC to the 'latest' version & ignore the "do not update" on play store; happens when a big 'security' patch was done.

Using TC & the TC Lan plugin, I am able to pass files between windows and the WSA. Just need to create a "server" with the ip of windows & logon/password. x-plore app does the same thing but too many adverts.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote