View Single Post
Old 02-20-2023, 03:14 PM   #49
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I did some time ago. I don't remember which guide I used. Maybe this?
https://www.xda-developers.com/how-t...on-windows-11/
I actually looked at those same directions. It includes instructions for running ADB but has no mention of using it to produce a backup. I tried Googling but was unable to find any references to using ADB backup in WSA.

My best guess is that because WSA only has windows tied to each running app instead of a single screen there is no place for the popup dialog to appear causing the backup to immediately fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@jhowell Alternative to doing ADB backup and importing that resulting .ab file into DeDRM plugin config window would be having a rooted Android OS emulator (easily done when using BlueStacks (via https://bstweaker.tk ), but IIRC there are also custom Windows Subsystem for Android installer images that are pre-rooted and usually also come with Play Store and other Google apps included) and copy the /data/data/com.amazon.kindle/databases/map_data_storage.db (or whatever exactly was used at the time for that particular version of Kindle for Android app, I don't recall the details only that there used to be something before map_data_storage.db) and import that into DeDRM plugin config.
I was trying this as an experiment to see if WSA could be used as a simpler alternative to installing a separate Android emulator. Since it doesn't appear to work "out of the box" I am not planning to pursue the idea any further.

I don't have an actual need for this at the moment since owning Kindle devices gives me sufficient access to my purchased books, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Maybe my android version and/or K4A is too old for the instructions work. (Key is someplace else?)
More likely your Kindle for Android APK is too new. The last version of Kindle for Android that is capable of producing a backup file is 4.17 which was released in late 2015. Anything newer does not allow backups.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote