View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ve got the 2020 Fire HD 8 and it’s not as slow as all that; it’s fine for web browsing. However, I’ve noticed that they get slower over time; it replaced the 2018 version which had gotten awfully pokey by the time I traded it in. That one’s performance was akin to that described above.

If speed’s important, you could always spend $20 more for 3 GB of RAM, but I doubt it would be worth it to me. I think they’re great devices for the money once you put Google Play on them.
Google Play Store is an absolute necessity to be installed on a Fire Tablet IMHO. If Amazon ever blocks that, I would never recommend their tablet to anyone. If you're going to force people into your ecosystem, you better have a very good one. And Amazon does not, not for getting apps for a Fire Tablet.

I have a Gen 7 2017 model and a Gen 8 2018 model. I'm probably done with tablets after these. Fine for what they are, but if I want more speed and power I'll probably go for a little-bitty laptop that I can run Linux on. One that has a regular keyboard. I hate trying to type on the virtual screen-based "keyboards" on a tablet. Even more than I hate the trackpads on laptops (but you can buy an external mini-mouse cheaply).
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote