View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I turned on my Fire HD8 a few days ago, having not used it for well over a year. I had forgotten what a dog it is. That thing is SLOW. For watching movies you have copied over to the device it's fine. Even for streaming from my PLEX server it seems OK (but I've only played with that, not used it "for real", so it may not be good for streaming in actual real world hard use). But using as a web browser? Grab a pillow so you can take a nap between clicks on the webpages. If Amazon is advertising "30% faster", that's not going to cut it. I don't even think 300% faster would make it usable for web browsing.

The thing is, these tablets are really cheap. And they are great for things like Zoom meetings or entertainment (reading, or movies) while traveling. Email is fine too, if you're not in a giant hurry. I actually recommend them for these other uses. Just forget about browsing the web though. Even my inexpensive $250 smart phone blows the Fire HD8 away for web browsing, and that phone web browsing is absolutely nothing to write home about. At least I can use the phone for browsing "emergencies". The tablet? Not really. You want to see what time a restaurant closes? It will BE closed by the time the webpage loads to check it.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote