View Single Post
Old 09-15-2022, 05:03 AM   #23
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The works in this book were background and study and experimentation for the author. Yes, there are a few gems in amongst the collection, but really they are suitable for only the most avid enthusiast (of which there are many) ... and film-makers, I guess: those that want to squeeze the last drop of Middle Earth out of the source material. If you were the sort of reader to read (and enjoy) the appendices that came in The Lord of the Rings then The Silmarillion is for you, otherwise skip it.
I first read LotR when I was 7 and on that very first occasion, and every one of the other 18 or so times I read it, the appendices were absolutely my favourite part of the book. So it is perhaps unsurprising that I LOVED The Silmarillion and am thrilled beyond words that it will never be material for film-maker. At least not while Christophr Tolkien is in charge. Neither Jackson the butcher of LotR nor Amazon were/have been given rights to use any of The Silmarillion in their productions, a small mercy for which I am profoundly grateful.

On the subject of DNFs generally, I'm almost at 100 for 2022, meaning that I am DNFing about 1 book out of every 5 I start. I regard this a very positive development, embracing the "life's too short" mantra.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote