View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I can remember DNFing two books because they were just so poorly written: Prison Ship
by Michael Bowers
(go look at the cover. I wasn't expecting much, but the book still failed to meet my low expectations) and Canticle by R.A. Salvatore. I'd heard good things about Salvatore, but that book was atrocious. Written like a kids book, but one where the author is talking down to the kids, in case they are too stupid to follow his story.

One book that I thought was excellent, but still DNFed was The Nightrunners by Joe R. Lansdale. Lansdale is a terrific and recommended writer. But for me Nightrunners was too bleak and the writing too good at pulling you in to the hopeless world he was describing. I respect the book, though I won't try to read it again.

For the same reason, I won't read Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door. I know Ketchum is an excellent writer and that's why I've avoided this particular book (though I have an e-copy and a paper copy).
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote