View Single Post
Old 07-18-2022, 04:08 PM   #41
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... I don’t know that “unfair” is the accurate term to use in these situations; the library sets a fee and people pay it. However, I think in a lot of cases the library doesn’t understand its costs and how they relate to this particular revenue stream, and that’s why libraries such as FLP and now Brooklyn have cut off non-residents; they finally crunched the numbers.
I agree. As the notice reads: "Our priority remains serving Brooklynites and assuring that they can access the materials they need in a timely manner." Apparently they've crunched the numbers and determined that the additional users is resulting in less access for locals and is therefore not worth the added revenue.

I know people in Brooklyn who are not thrilled to be "competing" with non-residents for access to ebooks/audiobooks, which they believe results in longer wait times. They are pleased with this new policy. Of course, will the reduced revenue mean fewer ebooks/audiobooks will be added to the collection? Hard to know ...
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote