View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 05:58 AM   #54
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought the opposite of grimdark was noblebright? What are the vast differences between hopepunk and noblebright?
What's the opposite of a dark, heavy chocolate cake? Lemon sorbet? A glass of cold water? Salty potato chips? Jogging? A balloon? I'd say all of those are true, depending on which aspects of the cake you're concentrating on.

Alexandra Rowland has written about what she sees as the difference between noblebright and hopepunk.

Quote:
I'm getting memories of the great Teen & Young Adult Fiction about Siblings and Teen & Young Adult Siblings Fiction genres on Amazon.
Well, I assume someone has been searching for those books, or Amazon wouldn't spend precious pixels on including the tags. It's meh to me, but why should that bother me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sounds like a good book. Does it need a new genre tag? Likely no.
It's a great book The book might not need any tags, but readers searching for books like it do.
I tried searching for "books like the goblin emperor" and found this list, which includes She Who Became the Sun. I also searched for "hopepunk" and found this blog post which lists The House in the Cerulean Sea alongside with The Goblin Emperor.
  • Katherine Addison: The Goblin Emperor. The half-goblin Maya, who has spent his life (all 18 years of it) in exile, becomes emperor after his father and brothers all die unexpectedly. Cue court intrigues, treason, and a desperate scramble to handle an immense job he has no training for, armed mostly with kindness and a sincere desire to do a good job.
  • Shelley Parker-Chan: She Who Became the Sun. A peasant girl fights her way to power, stopping at nothing, including murder, because the alternative is death.
  • TJ Klune: The House in the Cerulean Sea. Linus is a caseworker in Department in Charge of Magical Youth. He's sent to check up an orphanage with some very dangerous children. During his stay, he learns to love the children and the man who runs the orphanage.
The first and the second are similar in scope and overall story arch, but if you're in the mood for a book about "radical kindness" (as Rowland describes hopepunk) then you're definitively better of with Klune's book than Parker-Chan's.
(All those books are excellent, by the way!)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote