Thread: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 11:26 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's because physical stores are the only place that matters. If you have to scroll through fifty pages at Kobo, you'd be better off looking to the left and choosing the correct sub-category. I don't normally shop Kobo and was able to figure it out in ten seconds.
I do actually know how how to search subcategories, despite your apparent assumption that I do not. When I select "Science Fiction" from the sub-category list at Kobo, these two are both on the first page of results:
Quote:
The Eternal Machine
A woman with the strength to rebel.A shapeshifter who wears the souls of the dead.Together, they face a lethal enemy.Em helped create it. Now she must craft its defeat.In a city owned by industrialists, Em sells her magic to make ends meet. The extraction procedure is brutal and potentially deadly. Desperate for change, she joins an underground resistance movement to weaponize her magic and stop ... Mages too, practising heart magic and skin magic, along with shapeshifters, demons and automata

A Pilgrimage of Swords

ENTER THE EXECRATION,WHERE THE DAMNED AND THE DESPERATE COME TO PRAY TO THE MAD GOD…It is two hundred years since the deity known as the Absolved went mad and destroyed the Kingdom of Alnachim, transforming it into the Execration, a blasted wasteland filled with nameless terrors. For decades, desperate souls have made pilgrimage to the centre of this cursed land to seek the Mad God’s favor, their .
Neither is SF to me, despite labelled as such. I did not go past the first page since my point was proved thereon. To find SF even in the subcategory so labelled, one still has to to scroll past Fantasy books. Kobo's labelling is awful - anywhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the Regency Romances and mysteries I buy there are also labelled "nonfiction", which is as wrong as calling a book all about mages, demon and shapeshifters "SF".
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote