View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Yeah, Finnegan’s Wake is the only one off the top of my head that I think nobody could like. I could understand getting something out of it with a group read. But sitting on your own, savoring line after line of impenetrable prose... I doubt it.

Another book I really disliked, but can admit 'maybe it's just me' is Dostoevsky's Notes From Underground. I hated the first long chunk of that book.

While we're besmirching reputations, I didn't care for Kafka's The Trial or Heller's Catch-22. Both books banged me over the head repeatedly with their ideas.

Atlas Shrugged: I think Ayn Rand is only profound if you read her as a teenager (I got through The Fountainhead). By the time I tried Atlas Shrugged, I was embarrassed by how poorly it was written (and I read and enjoy pulp).

Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury... this was likely my own failure. I just couldn't get through the first section, narrated stream of conscious by a developmentally disabled man.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-07-2022 at 12:35 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote