View Single Post
Old 06-23-2021, 03:58 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Invent an idiom/aphorism/proverb

I was chatting with a colleague on a Slack channel, when somehow we got onto the topic of odd English phrases.

And I thought it would be fun to invent one and see if anyone asked about it. So from nowhere in particular I came up with "Never trust a worried rabbit".

I managed to use it in two meetings earlier today, and in one someone actually agreed with me in an off-hand sort of way.

All: [some discussion about a programming problem at work]
Me: "Well, never trust a worried rabbit"
Colleague: "Yeah".
All: [conversation continues]

Thread rules:
1. You may post 1 (ONE) made up idiom/aphorism/proverb
2. When you have used any one of the made-up phrases posted in this thread in a general conversation, you should tell us about it
3. You may then post another.

Spoiler:
Original rules, now discarded:

So this thread has a two part challenge

1. Invent a new idiom/aphorism/proverb
2. Get away with using it in an everyday conversation.

If you can complete both parts of this challenge, report back here, and share your new phrase with the rest of the thread.

You MUST have used your new phrase in conversation with some people not in on the joke to be able to post it here.

Good luck!

There's another kind of post allowed in this thread. Discussion of the meaning of the new phrases that people post.

So: what does "never trust a worried rabbit" mean to you?

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-27-2021 at 05:36 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote