View Single Post
Old 05-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I agree with your assessment, B_G. I'm finally getting close to done and have been enjoying it.

One thing I think is so interesting about this story is that it's so sumptuous with the writing about food and recipes, but yet the characters don't ever seem to enjoy the food, or at least the writing doesn't speak of it. The food is just... mentioned. Lol. The characters, especially Framboise and her mother, seem to be great cooks/chefs but very hard and almost unsavoury people who seem to almost make and eat any food out of a sense of stern responsibility, maybe the same as like an astronaut eating freeze-dried food to survive, heh.

It's definitely an interesting choice Harris made to write a book focusing on food (although it seems most or all her books do) yet make the protagonist writing the story not interested in describing any enjoyment from it. In fact, the only strong descriptions of food's effect on anyone is the orange scent's effect on her mother, which obviously is a very negative reaction!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote