View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #59
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Shame about the public domain restriction. This was added to my library, and thought it would make an interesting read:

https://brooklyn.overdrive.com/media/1275365
Thanks for the tip, in any case. I’m a long-time Naomi Murchison fan and this one is new to me. But public domain solves the problems of price and availability and helps limit the discussion of “what’s a classic” since all the possibilities will at least be old. And there are a lot of classics out there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I would still like to agitate for more frequent than quarterly--since people won't be expected to read all the titles, and a discussion schedule can likewise be flexible.

Otherwise, it seems to me that a book will end up being discussed for maybe two weeks, tops, then everyone will go silent for 10 weeks till the next book. And if someone skips a book, it's a 22-week gap. If the hope is to keep the club as a going concern, it needs to become a habit, and can you develop a habit with such long gaps?
I do take your point and I wouldn’t be averse myself. I love classics and they’ve been especially appealing this pandemic year. However, I also think the Victorian novels in particular can be a big commitment for some and we’re better off starting at an easy pace. We can always revisit or even fill in with another read if things are going well. We really want this to be low pressure - one of the reasons to eschew the whole discovery/nomination/voting process. Maybe bimonthly would be better; it’s all guesswork at this point.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote