View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #5
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I made it farther in and now I've encountered a few that had non-scary explanations. Those so far haven't impressed me as much as the earlier stories and even the Scott is looking better now in comparison.

In particular I did not care for I think it was 'Jack Layford's Friend'. I'm fine with objectionable words in old literature that were of its time, however in a curated short story collection of various authors I feel there should be something extraordinary about a story to be included if it does indeed include very objectionable words. The editor does warn us beforehand but that's beside the point for me. Disregarding the slur I still thought the story was one of the weaker so to me it really doesn't merit any inclusion in the collection. The protagonist/hero is at times rude and unlikeable, and idiotic for not realising the very obvious thing the entire plot relies on. Actually all the major characters were idiotic in their turn to make the plot work. If the story were more enjoyable it would've been easier to not care about that but as it is it just added to the reasons I didn't care for it.

My favourites so far were all in a row near the beginning- 'The Old Nurse's Story', 'Horror: A True Tale' and 'Bring Me a Light!'. I haven't got to your two favourites yet Bookworm_Girl.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote