Thread: New Leaf Still Life by Louise Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #33
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post

Please note that this is the final month I will be facilitating the New Leaf Book Club. I want to personally thank issybird for helping start this, and facilitating before me. And I want to thank each and every one of you, the people who came here every month (or most of them, anyway), read the books, discussed them, and helped make this a community that I was proud to be a part of.
I’d like to thank both Charlie & issybird for facilitating NLBC on our behalf! It’s been great fun, and I appreciate all your hard work to make that happen.

A big thanks as well, to everyone who participated! Hearing your thoughts and reactions has been fun, and really enriched my enjoyment of the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
....once the dust settles, I’d like to think that there would be a place for a less formal book club, something along the lines of a glorified group read on occasion. If that appeals to anyone, keep it in mind. In any case, I feel as if the NLBC had an excellent run.
I think we had a good run too, and should celebrate that! I’m ready to say goodbye to the formal monthly commitment of the club, because I’m keen to tackle my own tbr list for a while. But, that said, I’d definitely be interested an occasional group read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Regarding the idealized hero nature of Gamache, I seem to recall from several of her afterwords that she had her husband in mind, a man she explicitly viewed as her own personal hero and savior from her alcoholism. Gamache was a sort of an idealized tribute in many ways, if my memory serves.
That’s interesting! I wonder if Beauvoir is stand-in for Louise Penny in some way? We see most of Gamache’s idealized qualities through his eyes. And it may just be a coincidence, but it would nicely fit with ‘beau’ ‘voir’.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote