Thread: New Leaf Still Life by Louise Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 04:48 PM   #29
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It's been years since I read this book, so my memories are a bit hazy. It was the first Louise Penny book I had ever read. I thought it was okay, but something put me off Gamache a little bit. I read another in the series, and finally figured out what was bugging me. I'm sure the women here have read many books where the male author wrote female characters that were idealizations of what he desired. In this case, the shoe was on the other foot (I am a male), and I found Gamache to be irritatingly perfect in a way that I imagined a female would desire. He just didn't seem like a real male character to me. So, I didn't read any more books in the series after that. Maybe I didn't like seeing how "wrong" my traits were compared to Gamache's.

I'm not proud of my reaction to the books, but I thought I'd bring it up to see if it generated any discussion here. Maybe something good will come of it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote