Thread: New Leaf Still Life by Louise Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
It appeals to me - I have hesitated to get involved because of feeling a bit intimidated by the structure of the clubs, and the erudition of the members.
Maybe after the new year once we’re past the holiday season? (Perhaps we could do a Wodehouse. ) People should always feel free to suggest a group read.

Quote:
As for Still Life, your concerns nicely sum up why I always try to give new series 2-3 books, to see if the author develops a voice that interests me. Penny did, although I do find the series wildly uneven in quality and appeal.
It’s a combination of impatience, life being too short and so many books to read, but I couldn’t give an author so much scope to improve. What I did do when I hit the wall was check the reviews on Goodreads to see if I should muscle through. While the book is very highly rated, those who didn’t like it, didn’t like it for the same reasons I didn’t, and I took that as sufficient reason to give up, but I admit that’s totally confirmation bias!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'm sorry you quit as early as you did, issybird. And I agree, the town does seem stunningly twee. But, you know, I LIVE in a twee and cliche kind of place where I don't ever lock my doors (though I'm tempted when my neighbour is trying to unload his corgettes), so I can't really hold it against Penny. And yes, the bistro couple are multiple cliches. But that misses my 2 solitudes comment completely, because the parts highlighting that don't even start until after Gamache appears.

That being said, the ongoing character of Agent Yvette Nichol is probably my least favourite aspect of the series. For one thing, I'm sick to death of the "insecure female" meme. And for another, she's just a really annoying character.
I don’t lock my doors either, although I wouldn’t describe my town as twee. What it is, like Three Pines, is relentlessly non-biased and sensitive so it’s not as if I don’t know they exist - although I don’t think that aspect has anything to do with not locking my doors. And your description of the sidekick doesn’t encourage me to try again! Unfortunately, a poor start makes it hard to muster my interest, but perhaps down the line I will try a later book.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote