Thread: New Leaf Still Life by Louise Penny
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Thanks to you, Charlie, for taking over. I was delighted that the club had renewed energy for a while, and as for its demise, I think it probably couldn’t go on forever. That said, once the dust settles, I’d like to think that there would be a place for a less formal book club, something along the lines of a glorified group read on occasion. If that appeals to anyone, keep it in mind. In any case, I feel as if the NLBC had an excellent run.

And, I can’t resist, although perhaps I should.

When Still Life was chosen, I thought I’d read it and participate in the discussion. The series was always on my horizon and I’d picked up the book as a freebie at some point. But, I’ll digress a bit, I think I’d have been better served in the manner I’d discover a mystery series back in the old days. I’d run across a book on the new shelves at the library and read it and if I’d liked it, I’d go back and read the earlier ones (if the library had them). And then I’d watch for subsequent ones and eventually get tired of the series in most cases, but that was fine. In short, I think some series are best served [JSWolf, look away] by not starting with the first one. Give the author a chance to work out the kinks, settle into it, and win you over a few books in, at which point you’d happily read the earlier one(s) for background.

I think my digression indicates that I didn’t care for this and I abandoned it early, even before Gamache showed up. Perhaps he’d have charmed me. But I was so turned off by the twee town of Stars Hollow Three Pines and its stock characters (a gay couple who runs a B&B cum antiques shop!) and lame dialogue that I couldn’t force myself to continue. This was compounded by the very irritating way Penny jumped around in the various characters’ heads and while I can’t know this, I suspect that the eventual murderer might be deduced by the absence of such inner commentary.

It’s a pity in a way, as I think such a very popular series has to be much better than this first book. Or, it just might not be to my taste. But I’d feel as if I’d given it a better shot by starting a little later; however, I probably won’t bother.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote