View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 02:27 PM   #14
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
fantasyfan I was curious about your question, so did a little searching, and found an article about chess at Bletchley. Apparently, they had a very impressive club, that won achampionship.

From http://billwall.phpwebhosting.com/ar...debreakers.htm

”On December 2, 1944, there was a 12-board chess match between the Oxford University Chess Club and the Bletchley Chess Club. The Bletchley team won, scoring 8-4. For Bletchley, board 1 was Alexander, board 2 was Golombek, board 3 was Aitken, board 4 was Good, board 5 was Perkins, board 6 was Sgt Jacobs, board 7 was Sgt Gilbert, board 8 was Arthur Chamberlain, board 9 was Peter Hilton, board 10 was W.R. Cox, board 11 was D. Rees, and board 12 was Lt. Art Levenson.”

It’s an interesting article. I knew the British actively recruited chess players, but didn’t realize they had the crème de la crème.
Thank you for that article. Clearly it answers my question—in Spades! I recognised Golombek in the list. I have his annotations of the famous Spassky—Fischer match in Iceland. He also wrote a good book on opening play among others. I didn’t realise he was involved In Bletchley. From the article it would appear that the team was incredibly high-powered.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-19-2020 at 02:29 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote