View Single Post
Old 09-23-2020, 07:45 AM   #65
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think the aspect that’s unique about Audible is that audiobooks are much longer than the typical movie and most people can only listen to perhaps two or possibly three per month, and they’re certainly not listening to one in a single sitting, as with movies. It would be annoying to start a 20-hour book, say, to have it yanked the following week. Maybe they’ll handle this by announcing with a long lead time before pulling a title, but they’ll have to come up with some accommodation unless they want a bunch of furious customers. The paradox is that they’d probably prefer people to listen to fewer but longer books with the subscription, but people may be somewhat tentative about committing to a long book if they think it’s at risk of being pulled.

I’m not at all familiar with subscription services, but I know I’ve seen with Netflix, for example, articles that say, “Shows to watch this month before they leave Netflix” or something along those lines. However, I admit I’m ascribing to Audible some measures of forethought and customer care that I don’t really think they have; they don’t seem to mind figuring it out as they go along.
Many times the pull is driven by the contract terms with the publisher/author. One other thing to consider is allowing someone to keep an audiobook until they finish it, is that it's a pretty open ended commitment.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote