View Single Post
Old 08-20-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks, mirage! Have you read the book? What'd you think of it?

That's the version I bought to listen to, and just finished yesterday. It was a quick read. There's a translator's afterword discussing the translation that was really interesting. He said translators have an especially hard time with Lispector because she wrote in a very unique and peculiar style that's (purposely) difficult for native Portuguese speakers to understand because of upending expectations of grammar, language, structure and whatnot. Readers in translation often have an easier time because translators usually translate into a softer form. Moser took pains to translate more authentically and retain the 'prickliness' of the writing.

As noted on the cover, there's also a great introduction in this version by another lit club author, Colm Tóibín, but I fast-forwarded past it and listened to it last, and I'm glad I did since it contains spoilers.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-20-2020 at 03:07 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote