View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not read this so I have no idea if the story is an issue or not. I might read it even so. I'm still deciding

I do think we should vet authors to not nominate authors who are anti-Semite, racist, abusers, or molesters. We've read some books that were clearly spoiled because of the author's racism and anti-semitism.
You left out one glaring bias. How about sexist authors and books that have a sexist bias? Now that’s a pretty pickle, isn’t it? You can’t condemn the rest but give sexism a pass, but there’d be nothing left if you were consistent. Even as a woman, I wouldn’t want that; I’d have missed out on too much reading I’ve loved over the course of my life. And then there’s the heteronormative bias which pretty much covers absolutely everything ever written until very recently.

Jon, you’re a Star Trek fan, I know. I must say I find the original Star Trek to pass the boundaries of “acceptable because it reflects its times” to sit squarely in outright sexist, women-exploiting territory. And it’s not good enough to justify it, either, the way some great works of the past are.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote