View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You know, like “tasty morsels - short and sweet.”
Perfect!

Yes, little nuggets of small town. Sketches, not a full on triptych. And I think it definitely benefited from being read that way, rather than a straight push through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria
For instance, the modernity of Mr. Smith’s ‘bait and switch’ plan in the first chapter took me by surprise. It brought to mind the hearings today about the power and monopolistic practices of some if the big tech companies.
Exactly so, and just as in the modern era, even those who would prefer to bait and switch, or fail to do the right thing, sometimes have to bow to public opinion. The difference today is that the small town's gossip network has been replaced by social media. In a very real sense, social media has turned the world into a small town. And I think this last is perhaps the most important lesson from this book. The world is now a small town, with all the good, and bad, that can come with that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote