View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:19 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmm, so many possibilities for this theme. My favourite, West with the Night, isn't eligible yet. But there's always Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie , that should be fun. Or Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods. Sigh, must think about this. Hmmm. Or, since West with the Night isn't eligible, how about a somewhat different take on very much the same period and place? We could do Elspeth Huxley's The Flame Trees of Thika, or maybe Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen/Karen Blixen? Sigh, sadly, I suspect all three of the colonial Africa books are showing their age, though I admit to having enjoyed each of them in spite of that.

Or, how about going at it a completely different way -- with something like Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander, or one of the Sharpe books from Bernard Cornwell.

Finally (well, for now, anyway), it seems to me that there are a whole range of Space Operas that would fit the category.

I can see it's going to take me a bit to pick just one or two to nominate. Ah, well, I'll be back.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote