View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #14
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I find that many novels have endings where I get the feeling that the author really didn't know how to wind the story up, or how to leave it with some sort of tenseness if not would up, or else they finish it up in some sort of untidy rush. Many novels do do it better, even in the early days of novels Robinson Crusoe got rescued in literary style and, of course, mysteries almost always end with a tidy wind up.

With The Solitude of Prime Numbers I felt that the author could have wound the story up at anytime throughout it in one of the dips in the story in the same open ended way as it did without a conclusion, or else just keep writing a longer story than it was covering the continuing ups and downs of the two characters' lives. It wouldn't have affected the story in any way apart from the word count. Because of that, while I did enjoy the book while reading it, after reaching the end I felt as if I had been short changed by having read a story that never got anywhere.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 07-29-2020 at 11:01 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote