View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #7
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OK, this goes in the Abandoned, 2 star column. Worse, it's a favourite genre,

so a book I expected to like.

Seriously, the language was middle school at best, and I'd have said any competent 5th or 6th grade reader should have found no words that challenged, while the sentence structure was... well, let's be generous -- "simplistic". I happen to like many YA novels, but I expect them to be better than this. Plus this was more violent and more repetitive than was absolutely required. Frankly, I haven't been so disappointed in quite a while. (Though it's almost worth it for the chance to post the Alex Trebek genre video. )
The Alex T video is a riot

I agree about the simplicity of the writing. I think it’s intended to be children’s literature vs YA.

Another thing that struck me as overly simplistic, was the premise that the kids at camp would be friends or rivals / enemies, simply because their respective ‘god’ parents were friends or rivals / enemies. Younger kids might accept that logic, but I think teens would find that highly questionable.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote