View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I enjoyed the book.I thought it was a clever, amusing take on Greco-Roman Mythology.

I have no doubt but that it is certainly aimed at a middle school reading audience and I know for a fact that there are many in that age group who do like it. Yes, the characters are stereotypical in many ways but they certainly mirror real types--both good and bad-- younger readers experience in life. Percy himself is dyslexic and is in a family with abusive relationships. Perhaps the fictional character he most resembles is Harry Potter. So, while there is plenty of fun in the book there is no absence of pain.
I saw neither fun nor pain. I saw the same old stereotypes of an outsider banding together with other outsiders--including a smart-mouth girl sidekick--on a quest. Ho-hum.

I did not read Harry Potter after the first book; it was nothing special and the hype did not inspire me to move on to the next volume.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote