View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I enjoyed the book.I thought it was a clever, amusing take on Greco-Roman Mythology.

I have no doubt but that it is certainly aimed at a middle school reading audience and I know for a fact that there are many in that age group who do like it. Yes, the characters are stereotypical in many ways but they certainly mirror real types--both good and bad-- younger readers experience in life. Percy himself is dyslexic and is in a family with abusive relationships. Perhaps the fictional character he most resembles is Harry Potter. So, while there is plenty of fun in the book there is no absence of pain.

How does it compare with other similar books? The first book in the Rowling sequence is about on a par. I haven't read the rest of the Percy Jackson series so I don't know how the story develops. The Harry Potter books continue to aim at older readers as the characters themselves age and deepen. I suspect this doesn't happen in Riordan's books. I'll probably read a few to find out.

When I was young I read and loved The Incomplete Enchanter by L.Sprague De Camp and Fletcher Pratt. It takes the reader into the world of Norse Mythology by a time slip device. it is a short novel and the authors followed up with adventures in the world of Spenser's Faerie Queene, The Kalevala and Celtic Mythology. They are all included in The Compleat Enchanter which is available in Fantasy Masterworks. These have something of the tone quality of Riodan's work but are set in the world of the myth rather than importing the mythic characters into the present. On the other hand, Neil Gaiman does bring the world of Norse Mythology directly into our world. But American Gods is most certainly not aimed at a YA audience. It is far more serious and on a much higher literary level. William Tenn did use the Greco-Roman Myths in his remarkable short novel, A Lamp For Medusa. But that dark, bitter, bleak, misanthropic vision is far removed from The Lightning Thief.

In the end, I think that The Lightning Thief is certainly no classic. Far from it. However, it is (IMHO) a lightweight entertaining work which can be enjoyed by teenagers and can amuse some (ahem) older readers who may like the unusual take on the Greek myths.

On Goodreads I gave this book 4 stars as I thought it seemed a good, enjoyable beginning to the series. Perhaps 3 1/2 would be more accurate but I rounded up.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-16-2020 at 05:26 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote