View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
What I'm looking for in an eBook reader

I've been lurking for the past few months, waiting for all the major devices to be released, trying to decide which one I should buy. It's about time I spoke up, since I haven't seen anyone in my situation.

I'll start by saying, I hate paper, and all things hard copy. I do everything online, and seldom even open my paper bills. I'd like to go completely paperless in life. I have 3 desktops and a laptop (1 Windows, 2 Linux, 1 Mac), all of which I'd want to add documents from depending on the situation.

I work as an IT Manager. So it seems that I'm always needed to print out technical manuals about hardware and software, and bringing them with me. I also have drawers full of network documentation, IP Addresses, network passwords, etc. I imagine I'd be doing a little book reading on the device, but mostly would want to use it as an alternative to printing. Because of this, it would be nice if there was some security built into the device (Password, etc)

Just about everything I have is in either PDF (8.5x11), Word (8.5x11), or on the web. My eyesight isn't great, so I want everything to be readable without straining (a problem with some paperback books after prolonged periods), but I don't want it to be too big to where I'm always scrolling.

As far as I can tell, the illiad is my best choice because of the increaseed size and resolution. Does anyone else use an eReader for the same purpose as me?

Last edited by Adam B.; 10-03-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote