View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Sorry you didn't like it, but at least it was short so it should not have tied you up for too long.
Not short enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I was particularly bothered by the "oops started sleeping with my college roommate and we got caught" episode. Had I been caught with a woman as a teenager, I would have been either homeless or forced into conversion therapy (which would have been worse). All the women in this story have found their way on their feet somehow and that is just not the reality of it.
There is a mention of what presumably was conversion therapy:

Quote:
Both were expelled. No time to say goodbye. She was packing when Jilly’s parents came to drive her to the country “for a rest.” A lovely place with green lawns and locked doors and treatments to help Jilly become a suitable wife for the understanding husband they would provide.
Typewriter in one hand, suitcase in the other, Emily boarded a westbound train before her own parents had the chance to decide her future.
On the other side of the stereotypes, I believe all the non-gay characters were portrayed as either bullies (men) or buffoons (women).

Quote:
The U-Haul stereotype just smacks of desperation. It portrays women who are so desperate for domesticity that they will literally attach themselves to the first eligible candidate. By taking this immediate jump, partners do not actually talk about issues or discover habits that might make co-habitation difficult. It is also just lazy writing. Woman loses home and a woman with space and the financial ability appears and provides a loving home.
After the immediate cohabitation, I had no sense of how much time had passed before they decided to jump into a painting (or whatever they did) for the rest of their lives. It seemed abrupt, to say the least, for a life-altering decision.

Quote:
Even if I could have gotten past the stereotypes in general, the plot revolving around the need to rid themselves of the big, bad, man in a way that ends in his death was just too much.
I would have preferred the story to be about his death and its aftermath; that was the only really dramatic event and it might have been interesting to explore its effects. But then suddenly we go all deus ex machina.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote