View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm not sure that Burroughs invented the story arc form, but he certainly was an early proponent! The Martian (Barsoom) books have the same behaviour, so I wasn't surprised. However, I still prefer the old, 1930's black and white Johnny Weissmuller movies.

Frankly, I didn't think this held up all that well, but then I don't have gmw's perspective of looking back on an old favourite. The racism was about what I'd expected, and no worse than typical for the time. I actually found the treatment of women far more difficult to stomach.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote