View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 12:16 AM   #35
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I have now finished the book; while I am pleased to have read it, I am not so sure that I can say that I found it a very rewarding read. That, in part and as I mentioned, may be the translation. The second half of the book flowed better for me but still struck me as seeming to concentrate more on being a technical translation rather than nicety of prose. Yuri's poems I gave up on, it is not often translated poems work well (plus I have an aversion to many poem types, that being my fault )

I wonder if Russians really did speak in several page long monologues during private conversations and if so did their listener's attention drift away as mine did? The few Russians I have spoken to have seemed to be quite more to the point (but modern Russians, of course).

One thing I did get out of it was additional evidence of how we in nations are molded by our histories (or in my own country's case, lack of it). While I had a splattering of Russian history and read a little of Solzhenitsyn's work (which is focused on a particular aspect of history), Dr Zhivago although a historical novel traveled over a period of great molding of the nation and, to me, contributed very much to the current character of it.

I think it could stand a second reading but I am not sure that I would be up to it; if I were to do so I think I would give the earlier translation a go. Wife and I still have the 3 hour movie to watch.

Last edited by AnotherCat; 04-08-2020 at 12:19 AM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote