View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
If we assume stuff this bad (sexist, racist, homophobic, repetitive descriptions, tortured dialogue) was normal for the genre in 1930s U.S., then I might be kind and describe it as ordinary. The closest the book came to a saving grace was Brigid, but I liked the idea of her more than what we see of her (figuratively speaking).

How did it come to be the basis for movies? My guess would be that it was chosen for its fairly small cast and very basic settings, making it seem almost designed for the stage and should have been cheap to make into a movie.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote