View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #24
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I went through quite some mental gymnastics trying to come up with nominations for this one. I thought first of the classical writers hoping to come up with something very readable similar to how Spinnenmonat's A True Story by Lucian last year was. But everything I looked at was either very long, read clunkerly, and most fictional were in verse (which I steer clear of ).

Then there were things like the Iliad and The Odyssey which, while older stories, were (I think) first written down during the Republic era but which version, verse or prose, or which of the myriad translators who have had a go at them.

I remembered really enjoying Lloyd C. Douglas's The Robe and The Big Fisherman many years ago (they are on my list for a reread, one day ) and I think The Robe was one of the most popular novels ever last century but even though I am not religious myself I thought the tie in during the life of Jesus may have been a bit touchy.

So took the nasty short cut of basing my nominations on the movies and TV versions I had seen (and which were on my reading list).

But the total list looks very interesting; choices, choices, choices.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote