View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 AM   #52
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Have you read the recent graphic novel retelling of Little Women, wherein Jo is explicitly gay? The Marches are now a blended family with different races as well.

I haven’t read it myself, although I gave it to my niece for Christmas as I thought it might speak to her interests; she had recommended the wonderful Fun Home to me. I wasn’t wowed by making Jo gay, as I thought one of the other sisters would be a more interesting choice, especially Beth, where a life of repression and unspeakable longings could well have led to her being a homebody and even been a factor in her early death. However, I acknowledge that for the gay child reader, Jo would be the most satisfying.

I’m going way off on a tangent here and I don’t want to sound too facile, but I think it can be interesting to try to reimagine classics with the marginal in mind, as with the graphic novel I mentioned above. I agree that there’s not a lot of scope for that in AoGG. Matthew’s an obvious candidate for being a closeted gay man, but that doesn’t get us anywhere. Still, I think a lot of readers, especially child readers, probably get skillful at taking from stories what they need, as we’ve discussed, and revamping them when necessary. No Professor Bhaer!
I haven't had the chance, but I am on a hold list at the library for the re-telling.

As for retellings, has anyone here taken in Anne with an E on Netflix? Apparently there is some nice stretching and shifting though the setting has not changed. There are race and sex issues being dealt with in a nice modern way if the reviews are to be believed.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote