View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm not finished yet. I can't remember if I've read it before or if the story is simply familiar from being so famous. Maybe I saw a film adaptation, I don't remember that either.

I really liked a lot of the opening sequences. They evoke a very pleasant mood and neatly introduce the setting and the main characters ... but eventually it all becomes too much. It wasn't long before what it evoked was that old saying: makes my teeth itch.

Like Bookpossum, I find Anne rather hard to accept. The outspokenness of her seems quite outlandish to me - could it be that children actually got away with speaking back to adults in this way back in the 1870s?

I think you are right Bookworm_Girl, that Anne is idealised, and perhaps more to the point, as you said an "aspirational role model for young children". That latter is definitely something I can see, Anne drawn by adults as they imagine such a child should be (but not as they'd ever allow one to act).

I do like the setting, and I like the way it plays such an important part of this story.

... Now I should probably get back to finishing it.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote