View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #24
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I also wondered about any meaning behind the title but I didn't come across anything that set out any comment on that made by Huxley.

Maybe Chrome Yellow just looked and sounded like an interesting title and leaving the "h" out made even more interesting, or Huxley used it for his own amusement to get readers into performing mental gymnastics trying find out any hidden meaning. As one can see, I had an English teacher who pushed that we shouldn't over-analyse what author's write as to meaning behind their prose.

But putting that aside, if there was some meaning he had in mind I felt that that it may have been one imparting deterioration and regression because the pigment chrome yellow tends to darken with age and so loses its bright characteristic (I think this was well known in Huxley's time due to aging of the paintings of the Impressionists who used chrome yellow pigment as a bright primary - a strong example being van Gogh's sunflowers) and his mangling the pigment's name by leaving out the "h" added to that sense. But that is all just unleashed imagination on my part :-).

However, there are trains of deterioration and regression of characters, experiences and things lying within the story, including Denis's experience along the lines clearly described by Bookworm_Girl.

I am thinking that this may be worth a reread sometime; I had a quick go with an audiobook extract and felt that it might fit that medium well, just as a change of attack?

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-15-2020 at 04:09 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote