View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #21
ustou
ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ustou is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I wonder what the significance of the title is. The best that I can come up with is that maybe yellow signifies hope for a brighter future and an entrance into the modern world after the darkness of the World War. Another idea is that maybe it represents the sunlit, leisurely days of summer at the estate.
One of the first things I got from it was the idea of "Crome, the yellowing house", like Huxley was giving us a glimpse into the aging and obsolete world of the English elite, where people get to live their lives without the worries of work and responsibility and can release their entire selves to their passions, whether amorous, artistic or intellectual, and the lurking spirit of capitalism was ready to chomp down on the countryside, as represented by the main character (whose name I have already forgotten despite finishing the novel two weeks ago) abandoning his boyish passions in order to return to city life, disguising this defeat as responsibility.

It reminded me quite a bit of Wuthering heights, oddly enough, where it seems that nothing in the world exists but raw, unbridled passion, which is, even more oddly, quite beautiful in my opinion.
ustou is offline   Reply With Quote