Thread: Literary X • February 2020
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 02:49 AM   #30
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
And... argh, I just missed voting as it ended about 30 minutes before I got on, saw and posted the results (to clarify, per the post time of when the run-off started, of which the voting ended exactly two days after that). Anyway, it wouldn't have changed anything as I was going to go with the direction of the wind and so vote for Doctor Zhivago too.

I had recently read Into the Wild which I loved (I had an inkling I would after also loving the film), so I thought Desert Solitaire could be a very good complementary book to read too since they're both non-fiction books about a philosophical nature-loving man alone in the American wilderness.

On the other hand, I've wanted to read Doctor Zhivago for forever. I am surprised neither of you AnotherCat or Bookworm_Girl have seen the film. I saw it so long ago though, when I was a child. So I'm sure a lot of it went well over my head at the time. But I remember the gist of the story, and certain random scenes, including a major later one I won't spoil. The book is one of the longer ones we've chosen recently so I'm going to get cracking on it soon, and I'm excited to finally get to it.

On a side note, Julie Christie starred in the film Doctor Zhivago, and I have two main images of her- in Doctor Zhivago, and in a very good film from about a decade ago called Away From Her in which her character develops Alzheimer's.

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-12-2020 at 03:09 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote