View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
It's interesting to see everyone's reactions to it so far. Personally, I loved it. It was somewhat more a series of vignettes really, but I enjoyed the setting, the characters and the style. I thought it something like if Downton Abbey were a soft but silly satirical sitcom and focused more on a group of young visitors. That's not the most perfect comparison since Crome Yellow totally ignores the staff as well but still. I thought the writing was enchanting, and I liked the mixture of wit and bite with the bits of pathos and melancholy. I liked it better than Brave New World, the only other Huxley I've read. Honestly, I only very vaguely remember that book as I read it so long ago, but I definitely remember that while I thought it was good I didn't love it.

What did everyone think of the chapter 13, concerning the history of the house and the story of the little people? I thought it was heartbreaking.
I thought you might have really enjoyed this book. I liked Brave New World better and have read it several times.

The history was sad. The architectural history and the original design/purpose of the towers was "unexpected" for lack of a better description! Henry was certainly obsessed with the history. Of the two older gentlemen, Henry had his head fully in the past, and Mr Scogan was used to contrast the past and modern.

I found this information about adaptations on Wikipedia.
Quote:
In 2014, Australian novelist and independent publisher Julian Davies wrote Crow Mellow which he describes as "a contemporary social satire closely based on Aldous Huxley's ... Crome Yellow".[3] Chapter XIII was adapted by Philip Mackie as a one-off 60 minute play, The Dwarves, for BBC Radio 4.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote