View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #58
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
No sacred ice for my part, just a combination of factors that led me to expect quite a different book. That Florence has so little enthusiasm for books was simply part of the surprise. I think there are many reasons for expecting this book to be something other than it turns out to be: theme, blurbs, title. That it defies literary norms might make it interesting to study, but whether it is successful in its defiance is another matter.

And I don't always dislike a book just because it is unexpected. It can be a set back as you have to reorient yourself in order to follow where the author leading, but sometimes the unexpected can be a pleasant surprise. But if a book isn't what I expected, I do still expected to be something more definite than what this turned out to be. For me, it wasn't short enough to get away with feeling so incomplete.

Ultimately, though, I didn't like the book for the other reason we talked about a few posts ago: I felt that the prose and structure kept me distanced from the characters. And because it never let me in, I got to the end feeling thoroughly unsatisfied - leaving me inclined to get picky about individual sentences .

I missed The Natural, and what I saw of the conversation about it hasn't encouraged me to add it to my reading list.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote