View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #48
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I like to read for escapism so I prefer cozy and sentimental and happy endings. Same with movies. I don't mind reading books without happy endings, but I like there to be hope or a lesson to be learned.

I hadn't thought to draw a parallel with The Natural. I think it's an excellent comparison. I see now that my reaction to both books is much the same. Both authors write about characters with bad things happening to them and the continuation of that suffering.
I read for pleasure too, and choose positive books. Like CRussell mentioned in another thread, as I’ve gotten older, I tend to veer away from bleak depressing stories. But I prefer to think of it as ‘practicing good mental health’ rather than ‘escapism’

I would have passed on this book, based on the reviews. But I’m glad I had to read it for the club because I really enjoyed Fitzgerald’s writing. I think she wrote the book she set out to write, and our affective response is exactly what she intended. I haven’t had a chance to look into her background yet, but I’m curious to learn more about her.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote