View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 02:53 PM   #44
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The description of The Bookshop led me to expect something along the lines of Shirley Jackson's short story "The Summer People," in which a couple who have a summer cottage decide one year not to leave at summer's end; this breach in the routine turns the town against them. So I had high hopes.

But The Bookshop didn't match my expectations of reading about a town rejecting someone who steps out of the role they've assigned to her; Florence seems to be bedeviled mainly by a single malevolent person--Violet--and the residents seem to be mostly bystanders, with no particular animus toward Florence, or toward having a bookshop.

I did think there was some elegant language, but I want more than nice turns of phrase; I want a story. There wasn't much of one here; this is a book I would not have wasted ten minutes thinking about but for the fact of needing to post something about it for the book club.

I wasn't invested in Florence; she seemed nice enough, earnest but ineffectual. She had no passion for books--or for anything! Her "battle" with Violet was a complete mismatch--and yet I felt little sympathy for her as the underdog.

Christine would have been a much more interesting POV character. I don't see that anyone commented yet on the use of the book Lolita, but Christine and Lolita were about the same age.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote