View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #12
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I did find his wandering off into the metaphysics of priests and exorcism tiresome and I rushed over the lengthy and bogging down section around that at the end of the book. Whether it truly represented the beliefs of the locals in general as being some primitive peoples in that respect I do not know, but whatever is the case I felt he made an unnecessary meal of it.

So after lots of complaining on my side I still thought it a worthwhile read .
Mockett's book, which I mentioned further up in the thread is ALL about how the various religious workers and participants dealt with the loss. Japan's culture is so intertwined with Buddhism and Shinto (Japan's iconic Torii gates are Shinto) that it was not at all unrealistic. It is still very, very common for new homes to be blessed by priests and to see paper wards hanging in homes both new and old.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote