View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
To offset The Library Book, I'd like to mention another book that fits the theme but is too short for a club discussion. I was totally charmed by The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett, which is the account of how Elizabeth II discovered reading. Very funny and insightful, it made my ten-best list the year I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I picked that up on special a couple of months ago, thinking it sounded good. I have not tried to read it yet. Not sure why it didn't occur to me to nominate it ... probably because I was already spoilt for choice.
I'm glad you didn't! If you do get around to it, I'd be interested in your reaction. For me, the raging elitism of the author and her inserting her not-very-profound personal take on the story were unendurable. The low was the idiotic sequence about experiencing book-burning.

Quote:
The Penguin Classics Book by Henry Eliot. HarryT mentioned this on another thread some time ago, and it sounds interesting. But it's also very long and very expensive.
I'm glad you've jogged my memory about this, not that it's become more affordable! But I'd love to read it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote