Thread: Max 3 Rooted
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #22
diabl0w
Connoisseur
diabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enoughdiabl0w will become famous soon enough

Device: Max3
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqdom View Post
hello diabl0w

I'm interested in the process that you have done to achieve the root to add that knowladge to my brain.

As I understand, I need to get the recovery.img from an update from the vendor, but I couldn't find an update. There are no updates for Max3 in https://www.boox.com/downloads/#max-series nor in https://onyxboox.com/firmware. There is no OTA incomming for my device, as I'm in the latest update. I have read that OTA files are downloaded in /cache, but you can't open that directory without root access. Maybe you were able to catch the update URL with logcat. I couldn't do that as my device is already at the latest update, so no URL shown in logcat. So, how you managed to get the update file?

Does a recovery.img for a different phone/tablet/ereader, but with the same chipset works here?

Can you share the OTA URL if you have that?

Regards

I do have the URL somewhere but its not needed or useful. our ota's are sent to us via update.upx which are encrypted zips. idk how to decrypt them. the file is downloaded to the sdcard when you check for updates in the settings app so you also wouldnt need the URL for that reason too.

as I explained, I pulled the recovery image directly from the device as a raw image in EDL mode. you can google about that mode. since you have the same chipset, you can use the same edl tool I posted somewhere in this thread. hopefully you can get your device in edl mode... onyx recently pushed an ota update that updated our bootloader that I wasnt able to figure out how to enter edl mode. when I did the procedure, it was still the old bootloader so it was easy.

once you have the recovery image you just put it in your sdcard and download the magisk apk and magisk will patch the image for you. then you flash the patched recivery image in fastboot mode. this is assuming you have the same device type (non-AB device running system as root). you can read more about the device type you have in the magisk github I linked to in the OP

Last edited by diabl0w; 12-02-2019 at 03:28 PM.
diabl0w is offline   Reply With Quote