View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #115
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Great point about OHS and wearing heels. I find a lot of the older tv too provoking to watch as well and yet, like you, I can read late 19th / early 20th c fiction. Perhaps the tv is too recent, and we directly experienced it first time round? We’re cringing at our own history, not someone else’s.
Perhaps it's that cringe, though I suspect it has more to do with the immediacy of TV/Movies. Somehow, it's easier to distance myself from a book than from TV, though you're right that even on TV, when you go far enough back (as with period BBC dramas, for example), it's at enough distance to not be as provoking. Though I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed the HBO drama Gentleman Jack as both my DW and I rooted for Anne Lister to get her own back. A powerful and compelling woman who was castigated for both her gender and her sexual preferences. But mostly for beating men at their own game.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote