View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #114
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Does anyone remember classified ads in newspapers? When I was in high school looking for my first after-school job, the job ads were segregated as Help Wanted--Male and Help Wanted--Female.

(Yes, I watch too much old TV, and yes, gender discrimination is a hot-button issue for me.)
As it should be Catlady! Our first protest in school was followed by many other battles. I certainly remember the ads, and being paid less for the same job. One explanation I remember being given as a cashier was ”yes, but he’ll have a family someday”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Indeed, we're still in an era where it's news that women in the workplace are, just now, getting the right not to be forced to wear high heels, of all the torture instruments!

I find myself pretty much unable to watch most of older TV because I find it way too offensive -- very little of it has aged well. OTOH, I do manage to read quite a bit of older fiction, which is still full of this subtle, or not so subtle, sexism and discrimination.
Great point about OHS and wearing heels. I find a lot of the older tv too provoking to watch as well and yet, like you, I can read late 19th / early 20th c fiction. Perhaps the tv is too recent, and we directly experienced it first time round? We’re cringing at our own history, not someone else’s.

Last edited by Victoria; 11-29-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote