View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #5
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I haven't started yet but am looking forward to getting into it as NZ is exposed to tsunamis, especially the lower Eastern side of North Island from an earthquake in the Hikurangi Trench which is very deep and close to the coast - on the basis of average return periods it is due for a 8.5-9 earthquake and consequent big tsunami. But we get them arriving from around the Pacific, particularly South America. So took a particular interest in the Japanese tsunami.

There is actually a nationwide cellular emergency warning system test here tonight, it is tested about once a year. It has been in place for 3 or 4 years now but I think it is already getting into "cry wolf" mode as I am told it was used during a building fire in the Auckland CBD recently warning people to not come into the area because some streets were closed off for fire fighting and due to smoke - so no real emergency at all, more a convenience thing.

Many people, us included, take the radio warnings of potential tsunamis issued by Government Civil Defence with a bit of a grain of salt too because the radio stations exaggerate them for news effect. I suppose we get one of those a year, on average for tsunamis generated around the Pacific, for those many of us now just log on to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center based in Hawaii instead and make our own minds up based on the models they immediately generate for each event showing estimated height and time of arrival on a Pacific wide map.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote