View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #11
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Sorry for the cross post. gmwthat exactly what I was trying to express - Bronte just flat out tells us everything, so we never get to discover or feel anything. Except impatience

Instead of struggling through, since it’s written in 3 parts, you could consider just jumping ahead to the third part. She repeats enough that you’d get the full gist.
Exactly so. That journal with all the minutely reported conversations...! I think skipping it entirely is the way to go, though normally I abhor the idea of abridging books.

It’s a pity Anne didn’t have the talent of her sisters, as the dire situation of a woman in such an abusive marriage was one that deserved to be dragged into the open. Something was needed to galvanise the lawmakers into action, despite the comforts of living in a patriarchal society. Perhaps it was a first step on the way to improving the legal status of women, despite its melodrama.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote